Sunday 15 September 2013

Injury!

Yep, I am now nursing an injury.
This is really not great considering the Berlin Marathon is a mere 2 weeks away.

The week started off well with a good cross-training gym session on Monday, a hilly 12km run on Tuesday, a moderate 8km run on Wednesday and then Thursday came and the wheels went all wonky!
My Thursday morning 8km speed session resulted in a strained calf muscle.  I finished the session, but the pain in my calf increased as the day went on.

Although I am now tapering ahead of the big day, my planned weekly mileage of 54km was not met ... I did a measly 28.25km.

No Saturday Modderfontein parkrun!
No Sunday Fred Morrison half marathon!

But I decided to listen to some of those wise folks out there ... Caroline Lee, Coach Neville Beeton and my amazing wife, Zena! I did no more running.
Happy to report that my calf is feeling better already.

I am doing the responsible thing - resting, foam rolling and if I have time available am going to try to fit in a sports massage to help speed up recovery.

Now that there are only two weeks left before the big day I am deep into tapering territory, so will definitely be taking it easy.  If my calf is feeling up to it I may do a few short, very slow/easy runs, but I am going to focus on stretching and some strengthening exercises in the gym this week.

Happy Running Folks!

1 comment:

  1. rest that calf.. no running till its healed completely, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete