Sunday 8 September 2013

A Hike … or not



21 days to go!
On Sunday, 3 weeks from today, I will be running my first ever international marathon – the Berlin Marathon.

My training plan for the last 2 weeks required re-planning.

Hiking
Last weekend (Thurs-Sun) I had planned to do the Prospector’s Trail 3 day hike in Mpumalanga (close to Pilgrim’s Rest). A group of us arrived at the check-in reception late the Thursday afternoon only for them to tell us that that the next day the chances of hiking looked slim due to high temperatures and winds, which had a high risk of veld fires. We were told we could walk to the overnight hut (Morgenzon Hut), but had to check-in at reception again the next morning.
The rest of our party arrived a little later … in the dark, but safe!
After a good evening braai and a decent night’s sleep we headed back to the reception early the next morning to hear our fate.



 The hike was cancelled!

Phlllip, Lionel, Moipone, Rachelle and Gavin (and those that couldn’t make it – yes you Suzie Q and Ms BJP) … don’t worry I will reschedule this hike for early 2014!

The Komati EcoTourism people were kind enough to give us a free permit to visit the various waterfalls in the Sabie area and allowed us to stay another night in one of the huts (President Burger Hut) on the Fanie Botha hiking trail. Fortunately the trip was not a total disaster – managed to see a few of the waterfalls, had another AWESOME braai and then headed back to Gauteng the next morning … and I even managed to get in a little 7km trail run in Sabie.


My mileage for the week was supposed to be made up of a lot of hiking, but due to the cancellation I found myself having to run a 30km long run on the Sunday – pleased to say I ran it in a decent average pace of 6’35”. And finished feeling good!

That brings me to this past week.

Gauteng Marathon...just the half
The start of my pre-marathon tapering … planned to do 60km, but cut it down to 51km.
My training was going great … until Thursday’s speed session.  After a 12km speed workout – fartleks and a 3km tempo run – I could feel pain that wasn’t the normal pain I felt after a tough workout.  I then did the responsible thing by resting for 2 days, which resulted in a cut on my planned weekly mileage as well as only running a 21km today instead of the planned 25km.
Ran today’s Gauteng Marathon (the half) with the aim of finishing in sub 2h10 and feeling good … I managed both, ran it in 2h05 (my second fastest half marathon time) and felt good at the finish. 



Thanks to Silvano for sticking with me…helped me to not resort to walking a few times.



Trying out my Zulu warrior dancing.


My training plan to-date:

PLANNED
ACTUAL
COMMENT
Week 1
42.00
42.64
Over target
Week 2
46.00
0.00
Damn Flu
Week 3
44.00
10.29
Still the damn flu
Week 4
38.00
64.60
Over target
Week 5
49.00
50.35
Over target
Week 6
54.00
49.94
Under target
Week 7
62.00
63.45
Over target
Week 8
51.00
52.62
Over target
Week 9
58.00
49.48
Under target
Week 10
62.00
63.61
Over target
Week 11
63.00
65.13
Over target
Week 12
69.00
70.68
Over target
Week 13
67.00
67.61
Over target
Week 14
60.00
51.46
Under target…tapering
  
With just under 3 weeks to go to Berlin Marathon day and even less than that before we fly out, Zena and I better start packing!!!



Happy Running Folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment