Sunday 11 August 2013

Personal Bests!

Weeks 9 and 10 of my training have been great.

The strength training in gym, hill repeats and speed sessions seem to be paying off.
My half marathon personal best has been illusive for the past 2 years; at the Tshwane Half Marathon last week Saturday I finally managed to set a new 21.1km PBNot yet sub-2 hours, but getting closer.
Then, yesterday, at my usual parkun – Modderfontein Reserve parkrun – I managed to set a new 5km PB. I contribute these results to my training.

Some people often knock your esteem by saying things like “Setting a PB on that course doesn’t mean much because the course is flat”. This is really not the kind of comment that one wants to hear – runners should take every opportunity to boost each other’s confidence. That being said – isn’t it normal for one’s PB to be set on an easy course?

Today was my LSD run (LSD=long slowdistance). Because I was doing the Old Ed’s 21.1km race I decided to first warm up with a 9km run and then do the race – a good 30km done for the day. A nice easy pace – 6’46” for the 9km and then 6’33” for the 21km.

#ShoOops
Feige, me, Baino, Dani & Zissy







Got to run with my #ShoOops pals; two of whom are moving to the Mother City this week, so possibly a last run with them for a while.  












Also got to spend time running with the legend that is Bruce Fordyce and listen to some of his interesting running stories. When I told him I’d be doing the Berlin Marathon next month he told me of the great, historic sites that I would run past, including the infamous Brandenburg Gate. 



En route we also managed to bump into good ol’ Big Brad Brown running like a champ.

All-in-all a good week’s running.
Spring is just around the corner now; getting lighter earlier, although the chill factor is still here.

Training Week 11 (of 17) starts tomorrow!


Happy Running Folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment